Sunday 14 February 2010

For our little cat...


Yesterday, our little cat died. His name was Oscar Post, and he was a Brown Burmese boy. Oscar was born on 16th November 1994, he was 15 years and 3 months old. This photo of him was taken in April 2001 - doesn't he look beautiful?:


Oscar came from Charjan Felines in Sydney, and his mum was Charjan Miss Jana. He was sold to me as 'spot' because of the little patch of white fur on his belly between his front legs. Because of this spot, which we fondly referred to as his 'dud' spot, he was sold without papers (as a 'pet' only) and cost me $150.

In his lifetime he moved between several houses in Sydney, and then to Canberra. He was looked after by friends for almost a year while we went overseas, and he had also done time on a boat, several in fact (I say 'done time' because I'm pretty sure that's what he would have thought about it...boats not being his most favourite place in the world). He had also patiently seen in the arrival of two children, who were serious competitors in the 'attention' department, but who eventually were able to provide him with plenty of attention themselves.

He had his fair share of trauma too. He broke his leg when he was just a kitten, after running up an ironing board that was leaning against a wall (crazy cat ;-). The ironing board promptly fell on top of him and smashed his hind leg. He had to have a pin in that leg, and then wire around the bone...for the rest of his life. He spent 6 weeks in a cage, with a huge Elizabethan collar around his neck, to stop him from fretting at the stitches. He had only started limping because of that injury recently.

When we lived in Sydney, we lived in a free-standing terrace house in the Inner West. Oscar would sit on the pavement outside this house and look adorable....enticing passing strangers to bend down and give him a pat. When he was done with the pats, which never took long, he'd give them a nip and send them on their way.

Oscar got the nick out of the top of his left ear while we lived in that same Sydney terrace. We were never sure whether he had gotten it from fighting with one of the neighbourhood cats, or whether he had gotten himself caught in the thorny Bougainvillea that we had growing in the courtyard. We found one of his collars hanging up there one year, caught tightly in the thorns...but obviously he managed to wiggle himself free!

Oscar also knew all the good places to sleep. One day, when I came home I found my flatmate George lying flat out on the couch. Oscar was comfortably curled up...right on George's face. I was terrified he'd managed to smother George in his sleep...but he hadn't. It must have been like having his own fan-forced, heated sleeping pad (for Oscar) maybe not so nice for George though!

So, today I made a little card in his memory:


List of Ingredients:

Cardstock: Rose Red, More Mustard, Kraft, Sage Shadow, Whisper White Basic Black and Chocolate Chip
Ink: Sahara Sand Classic Ink
Accessories: Rose Red double-stitched grosgrain ribbon (retired), Chit Chat rub-ons, Tiny Bubbles and Divine Swirls Cuttlebug folders, Wide Oval Punch, 1 1/4 inch Circle Punch, Word Window Punch, Large Star Punch, 1/4 inch Circle Punch (retired), 1/16 inch Circle Punch, Spring Bouquet Punch, White Gel Pen, Edge Distress tool, Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots, Sticky Strip and SNAIL Adhesive.


I have left his little pink tongue hanging out, looking like a bit of a loon, because when he was younger, he used to do this all the time. He'd forget to bring his tongue all the way back into his mouth and you'd find him sitting there with it hanging out....I'd try and give it a little pull, but he got too quick for me.

Rest in Peace little boy...we love you and we miss you!






(Blogged to: The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens).

22 comments:

Robin. said...

oh sam... what a beautiful cat. i'm so sorry for your loss.

Debbie Pamment said...

Aaaaaw Sam - what a wonderful tribute to your furry friend! I loved hearing about some of the fun moments that made him special! Sooo sorry - I know he'll be missed but he was certainly loved too!
RIP
xXx

Rachel said...

So sorry to hear about your cat. He sounded very special. What a beautiful card.
Rach:)

Tracey said...

Very sad to hear of your loss Sam - I lost my Aloysious Nov'08 and miss him every day. It looks as tho' Oscar had a very long and happy life and obviously very loved.

Danielle Daws said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Oscar. Pets really hold a special place in your heart, don't they? Many people don't understand that unconditional love, but those of us that do know how much Oscar will be missed.

I loved reading all the quirky stories, especially about him sleeping on your flatmates face! I've often found that our cat has worked his way into my husbands side of the bed, forcing hubby to sleep on the edge! And there's Bronte, tucked up under the quilt with his head on hubby's pillow, looking very comfy...

Oscar sounded like he was a very special cat.

*hugs*

Paula Dobson said...

Oh Sam, I so know how you are feeling about the loss of your lovely cat. The card is so cute and a wonderful tribute!

Karen said...

Morning my beautiful friend!!!

I am soooooooo sorry to hear about your gorgeous Oscar!!! I had tears in my eyes reading your tribute to him. I'm thinking of you! Big hugs from a rainy Mackay!

Luv Karen
x

Karen said...

Hey Sam just me again! I've been thinking about you all morning since I first commented on your post! I wish I could give you a big hug......losing a pet is just so hard!

Luv Karen
x

Madonna said...

Oh that sucks. Your tribute to Oscar is beautiful. Gave me little goosey pimples and fond memories of my beloved cat that we lost last year after 10 years. They wiggle into your heart don't they? I'm sure he will be dearly missed. Thinking of you. xo

Jean McKenzie said...

Sam, what a fitting tribute to your furbaby. You would surely miss him after having him for 15 years! We have a little dog who is now around 23 - she is just part of our lives but we know we don't have her for much longer. It would be nice if our pets lived as long as we do I think. The comforting part is knowing that they had a wonderful life with all the comforts that a cat thinks they are entitled to!! Thinking of you.

KimB said...

Hi Sam,

it was lovely to hear your memories of Oscar. I'm sure he knew he was loved and still is. The card is a very special tribute to a lovely puss.

Talk soon. Love Kim

kareN stampZ said...

Oh Sam so sad to hear it certainly sounds like he'll be sorely missed by all the Posts but he's certainly had a colourful & exciting life - chin up & a big HUG from me

K xox

Kate Lewis said...

Aw Sam, I'm so sorry to hear about losing Oscar and have to say I've totally welled up reading your lovely tribute to him. Pets are one of life's biggest blessings and I know you'll miss him loads but will also have fabulous memories, he was obviously such a character! Lots of hugs, Kate xx

Leonie said...

So sad to hear about your little friend! It's heartbreaking to lose a pet. We just had to get rid of our cat because she was attaking our youngest daughter all the time, I think my little Matilda will love to make a punched cat like this!

Take care :)
Leonie

Corie said...

Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so difficult. Your card is just fantastic, and Oscar was a gorgeous cat

Big hugs,
Corie

Anonymous said...

There's a special place in Heaven for Oscar.

Fondly, Pauline

Sharlene said...

Awww Sam, I'm sorry to hear about Oscar. He was definitely a beautiful cat. Your card is just a perfect remembrance of him. Love how you added his little 'dud' spot too. Take care!

Sarah Klass said...

Awww Sam, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Oscar. I love the card that you created in his honour - a wonderful likeness :)

S x

Cheryl said...

Hi Sam,I am so sorry you lost your gorgeous little Oscar.It is never easy when they have been in the family for so long.Your card is a perfect tribute,its fabulous!!! BTW I was looking at all the recent punch art cards and they are brilliant,you really are very talented,might have to case some one day,if you don't mind!!
Take care xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss...love your tribute to him especially the tongue hanging out..sounds like he was a real character alright!

Anthonette said...

So sorry to hear about Oscar. He was beautiful! You card is a great tribute to this member of your family.

Wendya619 said...

Hi, I am sorry for your loss and love your punch art. We have two wonderful Burmese sisters of our own, Coco-Chanel and Mya-May. They are in every part of our lives too, thanks for sharing your story and your art.
Wendy from Chicago, IL