Friday 6 April 2012

Capturing the Reef in Collage...


I have another bright, punch art collage to show you today. This project was inspired by our sailing adventure to The Great Barrier Reef last year, and in particular, our visits to Bait Reef off the Whitsunday Islands.



Now, although the making of all those itty, bitty, corally flowers looks like it would have been tedious and boring, it wasn't!  I spent the whole time dreaming of all the places we visited that looked just like this. I might add here that my husband remarked at one point that the reef in mind mind was much healthier looking than it was in his...but I put this down to the fact that he spent a lot of time diving and snorkelling in various exotic places in the western Pacific in his youth, so he is probably accustomed to more splendiferous coral reef than I am. To me, diving on The Great Barrier Reef was like jumping into an open chest of glittering pirate's treasure.


This project has aspects with which I am tremendously pleased, but it also has some flaws which are annoying me, especially given how long it has taken me to make. For now, I'm thinking of it as a work in progress. A trial run, at the very least, and I've learned lots about collage and composition in its making, so it certainly has not been time wasted!

If I don't 'see' you again before Sunday...I hope you have a very Happy Easter!



Blogged to: Better Off Alone - Alice Deejay, Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus and Barbra Streisand - Duck Sauce.

1 comment:

Jen W. said...

Sam, this is fabulous! I love how you created the coral with all those tiny flowers and the turtles are too cute for words! Such a happy picture. :)